Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

670 08212011Eve

Pastor Richard "Buddy" Wimberly "The Loss" Philippians 3:4-8

Php 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man
thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of
Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the
righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of
the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of
all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

The things of this life to which we look to for status in the realm of religion,
Paul was rich in these. Many men trust in these things today and measure
others according to those standards. Paul said I have more right than they
and then he proves it.
He was raised righteous (8th day)
He was born an Israelite.
Of the beloved tribe of Benjamin.
He excelled in national standards (government)
He was a devout Pharisee
Active in persecuting the church
Blameless in his deportment
All these things were big attaboys!!

The things counted loss were things that used to be for gain or bragging
rights. They were gain in this world but have to be rejected in order to excel
with Christ. But the counting for loss is not a real loss to the believer. It
appears as loss to the world and to our flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment